Friday, May 18, 2007

Grad Wrap-Up


This past weekend was a three day event. Saturday was Kennealy’s graduation. It was also a chance to get out of Springfield for a while. I’m glad I went.

I woke up at 7:30 Saturday morning for no reason whatsoever. Graduation was at 1PM, so I didn’t have to leave town until around 10. I didn’t go back to sleep, so I was up and out the door by 8:20. My mom called my cell phone at a quarter past nine. She was surprised that I answered and was even more shocked to hear I was in Beardstown at the time. She called to tell me that my niece (who was turning one the next day) was out of the hospital and feeling fine. That made me feel relieved and brighten my day.

I called Kennealy from Industry around 10:15 to make sure he was awake. He was (barely) so I told him I would be there in about 15 minutes. I arrived back at Linc/Wash to see the little brother graduate college. Those of you who John know that, with a little more than an hour and half left before an event, he is no where near ready. While he got ready, I ran to the bookstore and went to Walcher’s house for a few minutes.

Walcher and Bridget were also graduating at 1PM, but, for whatever reason, they were ready to go. I stayed over there for a few minutes talking to them, Chris Thomas and Kyle McNeely. Walcher was ironing his gown and getting ready. Of course, he wore his white shirt and that purple and gold tie. Anything else would have been a sacrilege.

I didn’t get the chance to know Bridget well (she arrive a little after I left), but I do know that she is a really sweet girl who will undoubtedly do great things in life. I’ve known Chris Thomas for years. He also will do great things as well, once he takes that sombrero off his head. I met Kyle once before for maybe three seconds, but he is really personable. He likes to have fun and make people laugh. We need people like Kyle in the world.

Back to Washington Hall to check on Kennealy. By now, he was ready (more or less). His mom and sister had come up for the big day. We were running behind schedule slightly and were getting hungry, so we ate lunch at McDonald’s before taking John to Western Hall for the main event. It took an hour and a half (probably less if a certain former SGA President hadn’t “filibustered” on stage), but it was over.

I met the rest of the Walcher clan after graduation. They are really good people. I talked to Walcher’s brother Chris for a while. He told me that he had been up since four that morning turkey hunting. That made me laugh because I can’t picture John Walcher hunting. The mental picture of John wearing camouflage was too much.

After the post-graduation dinner, I went back to Springfield. Sunday was Mother’s Day, so I went to Decatur to visit my mom. My little nephew was in town, so I spent time playing with him. I’m going to be an uncle again in November. I’m starting Christmas shopping as soon as I’m done moving over Memorial Day weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home